I
felt a dark presence quicken its pace as I ran through the woods; leaves barely
hanging on the branches as the half moon spilt through the almost naked wooden
figures. I leapt over tree roots and ducked under low hanging limbs. Looking
over my shoulder periodically I only found the hooded creature had gained more
ground in its pursuit of me. Suddenly I was on my knees in my flesh once more;
feeling the cold mud seep through my already tattered jeans. I looked down to
see the culprit of my fall; a solitary tree root. What had forced me to change back
I didn’t know.
The predator’s
scent snapped my attention back to the problem at hand. I turned around
quickly, still in my kneeling, vulnerable position. The hooded figure advanced
on me slowly, knowing I couldn’t escape him now. Before I could scream a hand
snaked around my waist and lifted me of the ground.
A
distinctly male voice shushed me as he cradled me like an infant. His scent was
intoxicating and would have been calming if I had not spent a good part of an
hour being chased by a dark, evil being. That is what I got for going off on my
own, I figured.
“When
I put you down,” the male whispered in my ear, “I want you to close your eyes,
you should not see what is about to transpire. Can you do that for me?” he
asked as I watched the hooded creature bend into an attack position. I nodded
and he released me.
I
ran to a nearby tree and hid my face feeling shameful. Screeching and roars
assaulted my mind. I covered my ears to block out the noises when suddenly
there was a gut churning cracking of bone on bone and then silence. A single
owl was the only thing heard and even he sounded haunted by what occurred. My
mind swum with what happened not ten feet away from me; I wanted to look but
remembered his words.
The
ground beneath me disappeared as I was now being carried, reverently, to safe
haven.
“Don’t
fret my love, it’s over with now,” I heard my unknown hero’s voice say. “You’ve
been very brave.” And with that, to my undying shame, I fainted.
No comments:
Post a Comment